Rocky Mountain Federation of Mineralogical Societies has folks that serve on a Public Lands Committee, working to keep public lands open to rock hounds.  And mining companies are some of our greatest supporters.  Tri Metals Mining, out of Denver, certainly proved that this past weekend when they not only allowed our members access to their Utah/Nevada claim, they took us to the old mining sites in the Gold Springs Mining District.

The buildings and head rigs are long gone, but the tailing piles and float are everywhere.  The Gold Springs Mining District were formed in 1897/1898 but the actual mines were started around 1907.  The largest and most profitable was the “Jennie Mine” located on the main Gold Springs road that ended at the “Jumbo Mine” up in the hills.  Production from “Jennie” from the rich veins by prospectors C.A. Short and H.R. Elliott reported production of 4,000 ounces of gold and 21,000 ounces of silver between 1907 and 1940.

Later owners continued to work the mine until the Federal Govt cancelled all mining activities in the U.S. during World War II unless it was going to the Government War Effort.  Tri Metals Mining Company has been working on reopening some of those veins through a public/private partnership.  You can view the project maps and get more information at

Their Geologist, Randy Moore, spent several hours with our group of 35 and explained the future plans the company has and what types of rocks you could collect from their claim as float.  He then escorted us to several sites.  In the meantime, we got rained out of a couple of collecting sites due to the clay-based roads.  But Mr. Moore offered to schedule a second trip in the fall before the snow flies.

Our sincere thanks to Tri Metals Mining Company and Randy Moore and staff for their hospitality.  We look forward to hearing about their progress.  Maybe he’ll come give us a presentation at one of our meetings next year.

Leave a Reply